Welcome to 2016 from Threat Response Personal Safety Training, I am going to cover a subject which many people are subjected to and all too frequently the result is catastrophic, what have these people been subjected to I hear you ask..
Not a week goes by without a story of someone being stabbed, held up or even murdered by a person wielding a knife! I make no bones about this, Knives kill people and if you think that you can disarm someone who is carrying a knife without being injured then I am afraid you are very much mistaken.
An edged weapon only has to penetrate a few millimetres in the right place to sever an artery and only a couple of centimetres again in the right place to puncture a major organ, so bearing this in mind what do you need to do?
- You need to create and maintain as much space as possible between you and your attacker.
- Make as much noise as you can. Shout, Scream etc.
- Try and get an obstacle between you and your attacker.
- Look for your nearest / clearest escape route.
- Look for something that you can pick up that will help you keep the attacker out of arms reach i.e. umbrella, files, bag, hand bag.
- Look for things you can throw at your attacker wherever you are there will ALWAYS be things that you can throw at an attacker even in the desert there is sand, how about gravel, books, files, telephone, coat, the list goes on and on. As you are reading this look around you, what have you got immediately to hand to throw at someone.
- Run away.
I did say earlier there is nothing to be gained by trying to tackle an attacker with a knife UNLESS they are actually in the process of attacking you with it, of course you will try to stop them who wouldn’t but please bear in mind you will get hurt maybe fatally. If you are forced to defend yourself from a knife wielding attacker then the force you use is going to be commensurate with the threat you are under and be prepared to do ANYTHING to stop them stabbing you.
- Eye gouge
- Break limbs
- Even stab them with their own weapon
It isn’t going to be pretty and you will suffer injury so if at all possible use the list 1 to 7 above before they are actually close enough to stab you.