How many times in films, on TV and on a night out have you seen a fight, usually one of the first things that happens is that punches are aimed at the other persons head, from a self defence / personal protection viewpoint this is a very flawed response to being attacked so let me explain why.
Picture the scene, you have been put in a position were you have to defend yourself from being attacked and what do we do? Having been exposed over the years to watching actors in fight scenes punching people to the head and stopping the fight there and then we have been ‘conditioned’ into believing that if we do likewise we will win. For the most part this is inaccurate and it is definitely dangerous.
Hitting somebody’s head with a closed fist is likely to cause you just as much injury if not more than what effect it has on your attacker, the skull is a hard structure that is designed to protect the brain and eyes and generally it does a very good job of achieving this. You might be thinking that if you hit their nose / jaw it will stop them, maybe it would, however you won’t be standing still while being attacked and neither will your attacker, the odds are that you will miss, hit a hard bony part of the head and run the very real risk of breaking your hand. Boxers are forever breaking their hands even though they have them taped up and wear padded gloves, if you break your hand you will then be fending off your attacker with one hand and things are only going to go downhill from there.
USE AN OPEN HAND and here are a few reasons why;
- Pushing / Slapping someone with an open hand is deemed as less aggressive, you are after all in the eyes of the law defending yourself
- You are less prone to injuring yourself
- You are more likely to effectively defend yourself for longer
- You can transfer nearly as much force with an open hand as you can a closed fist
- You are less likely to miss with an open hand as it has more surface area than four knuckles.
A major part of Self Defence / Personal Protection is about giving you the advantage over your attacker, if you need to defend yourself just forcibly push your palm into your attackers face as fast and as hard as you can whilst stepping forward, this does a few things;
- With a face full of hand your attacker cannot see very well
- You have probably impacted on their nose which hurts and causes the eyes to water
- Your attacker now has to switch from attacking you to defending himself (Mindset Alteration)
- The act of forcibly pushing your attackers head backwards makes the pelvis area push forward thus exposing the groin
These are all to your advantage, holding your sore hand while shouting expletives will not stop the attacker, your positive action hopefully will.